“Regionymy of the North Caucasus (ethnic, social, cultural, linguistic and cognitive characteristics)” Academic Innovative Laboratory was formed in September 1998 at the Chair of Russian Language at the Higher School of Language Arts, European and Eastern Languages in accordance with the PSLU order no. 261-k-a dated 06/26/1998. Starting from September 2017 the Academic Innovative Laboratory has been functioning as a structural subdivision of the Language Arts and Pedagogic Technologies Department of the Institute of Translatology and Multilingualism. For all these years the laboratory has been headed by Professor Aleksandr Arkhipovich Burov, Doctor of Philological Sciences.
The laboratory was formed in order to study and generalize the data of regionymic space of the language world map of the North Caucasus. Its formation is largely determined not only by its unique significant integrating role, which the Russian language, as a state language and lingua franca, is destined to implement in the North Caucasus but also an actual necessity in a solution of social, linguistic, and cultural targets of speech ecology of one of the most complex regions of Russia.
A project called “Russian Word in a Language Worldview of the North Caucasus” is successfully implemented within the scientific studies at the Higher School of Language Arts (Philological Department). Here are the most significant results:
1) Participation in the international conferences:
Language and Culture of the Region as Constituent Parts of the Educational Space - II International Scientific and Practical Conference, Belgorod, Belgorod State National Research University, May 2017 (A.A. Burov, G.P. Burova, report on “Regionymy of the North Caucasus and Its Place in the Language World View”).
Eurasian Linguocultural Paradigm and Globalization Processes: Transfer of Cultures, Russian-Caucasus Relations – International Scientific and Practical Conference, Pyatigorsk, February 2017 (A.A. Burov, G.P. Burova. Report on “Linguistic World View of the North Caucasus in the Context of Eurasian Cultural Dialogue.”)
Language and Culture of the Region as Constituent Parts of the Educational Space – International Scientific and Practical Conference, Belgorod, Belgorod State National Research University, May 2020 (G.P. Burova. Report on “Multicultural Principle in the Linguistic Education in the North Caucasus.”)
Polish-Western Slavonic Linguistic, Literature, Cultural Contacts – XXII International Slavistic Online Conference, Olsztyn, Poland, University of Warmia and Mazury, June 2020 (A.A. Burov, G.P. Burova. Report on “Linguistic World View in the North Caucasus: Polish Regionymic Trace”.)
2) Publication of scientific articles by the lecturers and postgraduate students of the Chair and Laboratory employees:
A.A. Burov, A.M. Kazieva, D.A. Kazieva, Z.A. Zavrumov, Russian PR-text in the multicultural media environment of the Northern Caucasus / Turkish online journal of design art and communication. - Istanbul: Kultur Univ., 2016. - P. 3107-3113. (SCOPUS).
V.A. Atayan, Edissiya Ethnoregiolect: to the question of the definition of the Edissiya residents communication, Stavropol Krai / Vestnik PGLU, 2015, no.2, P. 263-267 (HAC).
A.A. Burov, G.P. Burova, Regionymy of the North Caucasus and Its Place in the Linguistic World View // Language and Culture of the Region as Constituents of the Educational Space. Materials of the II International scientific and practical conference in Belgorod, Belgorod State National Research University publishing office, 2017, 11-14 pp.
A.A. Burov, G.P. Burova, Linguistic World View of the North Caucasus in the Context of Eurasian Cultural Dialogue // Eurasian Linguocultural Paradigm and Globalization Processes: Transfer of Cultures, Russian-Caucasus Relations; materials of international scientific and practical conference, Pyatigorsk: PSU Publishing office, 2017, 20-26 pp.
A.A. Burov, G.P. Burova, Regionymy of the North Caucasus: ethnosociolinguocultural aspects // Russian Word. Collected papers for the anniversary of V.I. Suprun. 6 issues, Volgograd: OOO RA Fortess, 2018. 176-184 pp.
A.A. Burov, G.P. Burova, Y.A. Frikke, Cogniolinguistic Aspects of Kabardino-Balkaria Tomonimy // Russian Language and Intercultural Communication. 2018, no. 1 (17), 111-118 pp.
A.A. Burov, G.P. Burova, Regionymy in the Policultural Context of the North Caucasus: linguodidactical point of view // Science of the Contemporary World: search for innovative and creative solutions. Interuniversity collected papers of scientific and methodic works in memory of Professor L.N. Issaev. Pyatigorsk: PSU, 2019. 72-79 pp.
G.P. Burova, Y.A. Frikke, Linguoregionymic Phenomenon of Essentuki Tomonym // University Readings, 2020: materials of the scientific and methodic readings at PSU, Part VI, Pyatigorsk: PSU, 2020, 49-54 pp.
G.P. Burova, L.N. Klochkova, I.V. Grechkina, Caucasus Regionymy at Classes of Russian Language in the Middle School // Generation of the Future: collected articles of the International Student Scientific Conference (Saint Petersburg, September 2020), Saint Petersburg, Natsrazvitie, 2020, 82-86 pp.
3) The work on candidate theses on linguistic regional studies (10.02.01 Russian Language):
V.A. Atayan, Regionymic Phenomenon of Edissiya Settlement in Stavropol Krai, supervised by Professor A.A. Burov;
N.A. Lomova, Jargonization of Contemporary Russian Language of the Youth: social linguistic and linguoregional aspects, supervised by Professor A.A. Burov.
4) Project innovational activity:
2017 – Regionymy Phenomenon of the Edissiya Settlement in Stavropol Kra (postgraduate student V.A. Atayan, supervised by Professor A.A. Burov, I place);
Toponymy of Pyatigorsk (L.Y. Arustamyan, A.A. Burov);
2018 – Educational and Aidin Internet Resource for Foreign Students of the Higher Schools of the Caucasus Mineral Waters (postgraduate student N.S. Kovalev, supervised by Professor A.A. Burov, I place).
5) Academic process:
Two textbooks for philology students in 44.03.05 Pedagogic Education (with two profiles) were worked out and published on the basis of theoretic and practical materials, gathered at the Laboratory. In 2019 both text-books were published as 3rd editions with the mark from Academic Methodological Association:
A.A. Burov, V.G. Lebedinskaya, Etymology of the Russian Language. Text-book and practicum for higher schools / 3rd revised and enlarged edition, M.: Urait, 2019, 136 p.
A.A. Burov, V.G. Lebedinskaya, Linguistici Regional Studies. Regionymy of the North Caucasus. Text-book and practicum for higher schools / 3rd revised and enlarged edition, M.: Urait, 2019, 159 p.
Graduational master’s work under the supervision of A.A. Burov was prepared and defended, their authors took an active part in the Laboratory activity:
L.Y. Arustamyan, Formation of Linguoculturologic Competence During the Process of Russian as Foreign Language Learning (based on the materials of historical and cultural space of Pyatigorsk). 2017.
A.D. Aleshina, Lexical and Semantic Field of “Caucasus kitchen” and its Dynamics in Contemporary Russian Language: linguodidactical aspect”, 2019.
I.V. Tkachenko, Study for the Regionymy of Caucasus Mineral Waters: Psycholinguistic Aspect of Russian as Foreign Language. 2020.
A.M. Sheykho-Allor, Contemporary Informational and Communication Technologies in the Study of Lermontov’s Caucasus at the Classes of Russian as Foreign Language. 2020.
6) Academic and research work:
The academic and research work of students at the Laboratory from 2016 to 2020 was carried in two directions:
1) Introductory philological practice on regionymy in the second semester, which focused on the gathering of vocabulary material for individual tasks fulfillment: “Onomastics of Natural Landscape of the Caucasus Mineral Waters”, “Onomastics of Historical and Cultural Landscape of the Caucasus Mineral Waters”, “Lexical Peculiarities of the Regionyms of Stavropol Krai”, “Phonetic Peculiarities of the Oral Speech of the Residents of Cities and Settlements of Stavropol Krai”, “Etymology of History of Toponyms of Pyatigorsk”, “Regionyms, which Reflect Life, Culture, Traditions of the Place I was Born.”
2) Participation of students and masters in Youn Science - annual university scientific readings, as well as making reports on linguistic region studies (supervised by Professor A.A. Burov): 2019, Sule Sahin (Turkey), II year. To the question of the etymology of the word “Rus”; 2020, I.V. Tkachenko, master student. Associative and verbal method of regionymy learning among foreign students (based on the CMW toponymy).
7) Educational point of the Laboratory activity
As a member of the Union of Russian Journalists, Professor A.A. Burov published a range of articles and materials, devoted to the history of Slavonic alphabet and culture in the North Caucasus and issues of moral education of the youth at a regionymic material of their home region.
8) International cooperation:
On March 7, 2017, Professor S. Tchougounnikov (Digon, France) from Burgund University performed a lecture and touched upon the issues of regional contacts of Russian and European Languages and Cultures.
In 2021-2025 the Laboratory plans to implement the following projects:
1. Linguistic region studies as a science, discipline, social and cultural project. Text-book for higher schools.
2. Regionym: cogniolinguistic model of word description. The cycle of scientific articles, reports at the conferences, and scientific and academic and methodic student projects;
3. Russian word in a linguistic world view of the North Caucasus: regionyms in art and literature text. Interuniversity collected papers. Issue X.
4. Regionymy as an object of the lexicography of the XXI century. International scientific and practical conference with the publication of collected papers of the conference (RSCI publication). Pyatigorsk, PSU> 2024.
5. Brief dictionary of regionyms of the Caucasus Mineral Waters.