In PSU, more than 100 scientific areas are developed, 66 of which are effective. 18 of them belong to linguistics and literature studies, 20 of them belong to social sciences, 4 of them natural scientific. Besides, there are 3 complex directions, which are worked out by different subdivisions of the university under the direction of leading scientists.
1. Complex humanitarian and peacekeeping program called “World Through Languages, Education, Culture”;
2. Complex multisectoral problems of communication;
3. Complex problems of innovational development of the higher school, its structures management and formation of a future expert culture in conditions of a humanitarian institution.
There are 15 scientific fields, which PSU implements its work within.
In 2015, within the frameworks of the governmental order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Russia for 2014-2016 scientific studies and working outs were successfully implemented in the following sections:
- Cognitive linguistic and lexicographic modeling of fragments of an applied and fundamental scientific map of the world (Russian and English languages) (supervised by O.A. Alimuradov);
- Study of a sign and sense in a structure of a virtual space discourse (supervised by Y.M. Shaev);
- Model of Transformative (Creative and Innovational) Management in Self-Managing Social and Economic Systems, including higher school (supervised by A.P. Gorbunov);
- Russian Statesmanship in the North Caucasus Peoples Destiny (supervised by Y.Y. Klychnikov);
- Etymological analysis of judicial terminology in mediation for law literacy of citizens (supervised by E.I. Kobysheva).
- Monitoring of international relations and religious situation; study for the problem of foreign North Caucasus expat communities in aspect of safety and stability of Russia in Stavropol Krai and the North Caucasus Federal District; analysis of the problem of ethnocultural and historical education; analysis of a language policy in the NCFD regions (supervised by M.A. Astvatsaturova);
- Analysis and estimation of the state youth policy implementation policy in the Russian Federation, considering regional aspects (supervised by E.D. Kondrakova);
- Within the frameworks of competitions of Grants Council of the President of the RF for state support of young Russian Scientists Candidates of Sciences (social and humanitarian sciences) the following projects were implemented:
- Ontology of virtual space (supervised by Y.M. Shaev);
- A complex cognitive study of terms nomination peculiarities in priority fields of a scientific and technical network of the Russian Federation (supervised by M.N. Latu);
- Within the framework of other competitions, the following projects were implemented:
- Culturological and linguopragmatic objects of parliament communication in the EU countries (Great Britain, Germany, France, Europarliament) (supervised by A.V. Alferov);
- Systematization and standardization of terminology of mediation in Russia (supervised by A.G. Chernyshenko);
- Non-traditional religious unions as a network subject in a threat system of the North Caucasus (supervised by G.V. Kosov).
Part of the funds received as the financial assistant to the university was used for the development of student science.
PSU played its role in the implementation of a program of Russian Language Education Promotion (under the Pushkin Institute’s name) supervised by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, and Pushkin State Institute of Russian Language.
In 2015, tutors, postgraduates, and students of the university actively participated and won in foreign funds and organizations competitions for scientific and practice internships organization in universities and research centers of the whole range of world countries, which was backed by the Administration of Scientific Work and International Relations Administration of PSU.
In 2015 the PSU administration significantly funded the scientific work from its own sources, which allowed not only supporting the studies in the principal scientific fields of the university but also stimulation of their growth.
At the expense of the university and sponsor funds, there were a lot of conferences and seminars organized, and scientific and academic literature published. The university also organized scientific work travel for its tutors, doctoral students, postgraduates, students to work in scientific establishments, libraries, archives of Moscow, Saint Petersburg and other cities. A lot of equipment, materials were acquired, computer network was modernized, active work on modernization of traditional PSU library into contemporary informational and resource center was continued.
The results of the studies in all kinds of academic research work, implemented in the university is widely used while working out and making up of a new contemporary educational and methodologic scientific literature, which is used in realization of the principal educational programs of the university and promotes the increase of experts training in all the fields.
In 2015 the university tutors published 67 monographs (9 of them in foreign journals), 1138 scientific articles (97 of them in foreign journals), 92 textbooks and educational materials, 15 collected papers. The number of publications in HAC journals increased significantly. There were 24 articles published in international system journal, including SCOPUS (19), WEB OF KNOWLEDGE (5).
University lectors take an active part in conferences. They have presented reports in 401 conferences (including 223 foreign conferences), and an overall number of reports amounts to 769.
Due to the methodic work in a Science Index system of the plenipotentiary of the university and additional representatives in RSCI work, Hirsch index of the university increased from May 2015 to June 2016 for 14 positions and amounted to 43.
21 scientific centers and laboratories of the university continue their work. Within scientific centers, there is an activity of the University Museum, which studies and keeps the PSU history, and history of its most significant persons.
In 2015 the university administration continued the work on scientific activity management forms improvement and organization of scientific researches. It was directed on the further integration of scientific studies in social and humanitarian sciences, consolidation of scientists, who worked in different fields of social and humanitarian knowledge; strengthening of a practical direction of scientific working outs, systematization, and activation of scientific activity of the chairs.
Scientific Work management was improved. It joined a scientific and research unit, editorial, and publishing unit, postgraduate and doctorate studies unit. The scientific part of the university implemented analytic, organizational, and controlling activity, including planning, development, scientific events holding, and implementation of scientific and research studies, an organization of collected papers publications, and analysis of the scientific work of the chairs results. University and its subdivisions actively participate in different scientific competitions.
Issues of the management and organization of scientific work in 2015 were in the focus of the Scientific Council of PSU, Rector Meetings, was under consideration of the Scientific Council of the Institutes and Higher Schools. Taken measures allowed achievement of new significant results for a more systematic character of the scientific activity. The achieved goals for the period included:
Conduction of the whole range of big scientific events, which allowed achievement of a high degree of integration, consolidation, and collaboration of scientists of a higher school on a regional, Russian, and international levels, with organizing role of PSU:
- “University Readings 2015” Regional Scientific and Practice Conference;
- “Young Science 2015” Regional Interinstitutional Scientific and Practice Conference of Students, Postgraduates, and Young Scientists;
- VIII International Scientific and Methodic Conference “Russian language and bi(poly)linguism in intercultural communication of XXI century: cognitive and conceptual aspects”;
- “Education of Foreign Languages and Cultures in Different Conditions: Innovative Concepts and Practices (Lempert Readings XVII)” International Scientific and Methodic Conference;
- “Islamic Education in Polyculture Space of Russia: yesterday, today, tomorrow” International Scientific and Practice Conference:
- “Cyril and Methodius Readings” International Scientific and Practice Conference with spirituality participation;
- “Imperial Policy of Russia in National Regions in XVII-XX centuries, Interpretation through the prism of intellectual history” International Scientific Conference.
The results of the scientific activity of the teaching staff of the university, postgraduates, students of Pyatigorsk State University are published every year as monographs, articles, educational and methodical aids, programs of educational disciplines, and courses. They are also reported on the traditional winter “University Readings” and different scientific conferences. Articles and theses are published in PSU journals. Young researchers are able to test their results and hypotheses at the annual regional scientific and practice conference “Young Science”, which lately has acquired a status of an Interinstitutional conference.
Accounting year allows making a conclusion about the implementation of the whole complex of measures by PSU to form efficient tools for integration of science, education, and innovative technologies, which are a constituent part of the creative and innovative university creation process.
The normative model of PSU as a creative innovative structure has been recently implemented in practice. Its work is implemented under the direction of the Council on the innovative projects and processes, which is headed by the Rector of the university, which is a powerful factor not only in integration of organizational structures, which implement all types of scientific activity, and all links of educational process of PSU, but also the most efficient mechanism, which provides the future employment of the graduates and their professional adaptation to constantly changing conditions of the market. This system allows connecting the project activity as the constituent of innovative scientific and research work with a real transfer of humanitarian, social, and informational technologies in close relations with Student Professional and Business incubator, Employment Center, Association of Graduates, Psychological Service of the University, and with the direct participation of innovative and entrepreneurship structures of PSU, Institute of Additional Educational Programs, Institute of Integrated Programs of Higher and Postgraduate Education, Business School of PSU, small enterprises “IT - PGU” and “PGU - Kadry Servis”.
The university put a task of future development of functioning and opening of new scientific schools and scientific focus areas; it took a course onto the commercialization of the results of scientific researches and protection of intellectual rights of the authors’ scientific working outs.